19 August, 2013

Project 52 Week 25 - A rough week

 This week we traveled through Cambodia and had a touch week from many perspectives. We were dealing with a first real language barrier problems, distrust of locals who are frequently trying to scam you, emotional visits to Tuol Sleng Prison and the Killing Fields in Phnom Penh, and then a terrible day  of mishaps photographically at Angkor Wat.

I am going to include a couple of photos here as we saw a lot this week. The Killing Fields visit and the memorial on site was a chilling experience. We took an audio tour of the place which really helped paint the picture of what happened here not so long ago. It was saddening and tearful at times hearing the stories of those who survived.

Angkor Wat challenged me to the point of almost giving in. The weather for sunrise was terrible, and there were thousands of tourists who had no issues with standing right in front of you as you are clearly trying to take a carefully executed photograph. I meticulously planned my pack for the day yet still managed to somehow leave my lens hood for the 24-70 in the hotel, and shocking humidity was wreaking havoc with my filters and condensation, keeping them clean and clear of streaks was almost impossible and very distracting. To cap it all off, I made a large judgement error due to allowing the experience so far to really get to me, and my camera fell to the ground, damaging the flash hot shoe and (thankfully) making some superficial marks on the body. I have since fixed the hot shoe, so it wasn't as bad as I though it was at the time, but I was not a happy man.

Angkor Wat was, despite the less than desirable experience, still an amazing visit. A truly wondrous place that stretches for great distances. The many centuries old buildings are mind-blowingly detailed, and the architecture and planning that went into them is astonishing.

Many skulls from the victims of the Khmer Rouge exhumed from the mass graves in the area

Numerous large trees climb for the sky from the ruins at Tah Promh, Angor Wat.

No comments:

Post a Comment