28 December, 2013

Unnatural Beauty? - Project 52 Week 47

UPDATE: This is indeed natural oxidation in the swampy waterways of the Squamish valley. Having lived here for several years now I see this in the water relatively frequently in certain places.

A walk through the forest in the Valley floor led to us stumbling across these sections in the waterways that appeared to have fallen victim to the dumping of chemicals or petroleum. We contacted local authorities who suggested this may be natural oxidization which I found to be surprising, but I am not an expert so I wasn't sure how to feel about it. If it is natural, it is incredibly pretty, if it isn't, well, it still is quite beautiful, but at what cost? It's proximity to a The resemblance to a pool of oil on a wet driveway is what still leads me to believe it isn't natural.

Natural oxidation on creek water. Mimics the look of pertroleum based products that spill.

No comments:

Post a Comment